I have a beginner’s interested in the Yiddish theater and it’s plays.
(for anyone who is knowledgable about this can you please describe to a novice what they were and what distinguishes them apart from being spoken in Yiddish and that it was predominately shown in Jewish areas in Europe (specifically Central & Eastern Europe) up until the early 20th century.
• What were they usually about?
• Were they socially conscious plays? or were they expressionistic, hyperrealistic?
• Why was it important (especially to it’s Jewish audience)?
• Were they comical? or tragic?
• What were some of the best or memorable or even underrated plays from the Yiddish theater?
Thank you 🙂