I was recently at a wedding where I heard an interpretation I had never heard before and of course now I can’t remember what it was so it go me thinking – how many interpretations are there and are there others I haven’t heard yet.
I’ve heard the following interpretations:
- Remembering the destruction of the second temple
- Generally remembering the suffering of our ancestors
- A reminder that there is both sorrow and happiness in marriage
- Symbolizing the frailty of relationships so we remember to work hard at our marriage
- All potential cracks in the relationship go into the glass and in smashing it, we hope the relationship will be seamless
- Symbolizing that a marriage is not about material goods, but about loving and committing to one another.
So let’s hear them – what other interpretations are there?
submitted by /u/futballnguns