I thought I would share a few vegetarian recipes, and hopefully others can too, for the nine days. These are pretty cheap (under $5 each) and easy recipes. The measurement amounts are approximate, as I usually just eye ball them.
Tofu Stir Fry
- 1 pound of firm/extra firm tofu
- 2 x 1 pound bags of frozen stir fry veggies
- 3 TABLEspoons of soy sauce
- 1 TABLEspoon of white sugar
- 2 x teaspoons of red pepper flakes (optional; I like spicy food)
- 2 x TABLEspoons of cooking oil
- Add cooking oil to pan. When warmed add veggies.
- While veggies are cooking, cut the tofu into about 1cm cubes.
- About 5 minutes after adding veggies, add soy sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for about three minutes.
- Add tofu and cook for another five minutes.
- Serve over white rice.
Navy bean with leeks and tomato sauce
- 1 pound dried white navy beans soaked overnight
- 5 leeks
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Juice from one lemon
- Cooking oil
- Heat cooking oil and saute leeks for about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the beans (rinsed and drained), tomato sauce, with some salt and pepper. Simmer for around 25 minutes, stirring and tasting occasionally.
- After 25 minutes, add salt/pepper as necessary from taste. Five minutes later add lemon juice to taste. You can also add some cilantro if you want.
- Serve with white rice, bread, or pita.