I’m sure there will be a range of opinions on this and ultimately, as always, “it depends,” but here are some of the factors at play:
– We don’t currently belong to a shul (but plan to join one eventually).
– We’re in the greater NY-area (not NYC).
– Our daytime wedding is approx. 60 people and $15 K
– Our wedding requires 10 min travel for the rabbi.
– Our rabbi is newly retired from a career in the pulpit. We have worked closely with him in this process and like him very much. While we don’t have an extensive history with him, we hope to stay in touch in the future.