I want to convert to Judaism. I’m 15 (female), and I’ve been studying a lot about the Jewish culture and a little about converting and the history of Israel and I feel a strong connection to Judaism. I don’t want to officially start converting for a while because I know this is a huge step in my life and I want to be completely sure of what I’m doing, so I have a few questions.
- How do I talk to a rabbi about sponsoring me? Where do I look for one?
- Which denomination should I convert to should I want to move to Israel? Does it matter?
- How do I talk my not strict but very not-open-to-new-ideas Christian mother about this?
- Can I change denominations once I’ve converted?
- Please tell me more about denominations.
- Pretty much all of my friends are bi or lesbians. How do different denominations feel about the LGBT community?
- What exactly is kosher? They say pigs and animals who don’t eat their own cud and have a certain kind of hoof?
- How do other Jewish people of different denominations feel about converts?
- What’s the best way to learn Hebrew? Should I learn Yiddish?
- Is there anything else I should know regarding conversion and Judaism?
I don’t know if anything I said here might be offensive because I still know very little about the community, but please tell me if I did.