Specifically, I’m looking for any good history books on Jewish life in the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth, later absorbed by Russia and turned into the Pale of the Settlement. Anything on life in Vilna or the Vilna Gaon would also be great.
Book recommendations – looking something on Jewish life in the Russian Empire
More from r/JudaismMore posts in r/Judaism »
- Mitzvah for Helping Jews Return to the Faith
- A question for Orthodox & Conservative Jews, does it make you sad to see so many of your fellow Jews are usually very secular?
- Meteor with the force of a nuclear weapon 3600 years ago destroyed ancient city, likely inspired Bible tale of Sodom, study finds
- How do I begin studying Judaism?
- How does anyone determine whether they’re Ashkenazi or Sephardi if they come from a mixed background?