I’ve heard some people claim that in Judaism, one of the ways age was calculated was from the onset of puberty so the age of say 7 would be added on to the age of puberty so if someone said they’re 7, that means they’re 7 after the age of puberty which means they’re really 18 in our understanding for example.
Has there been a history of calculating the age from since you hit puberty in the Jewish tradition?
More from r/JudaismMore posts in r/Judaism »
- Some fun Kosher, Nosh stickers That I made!
- There is one part of the Old Testament where it talks about what to do with the sick. (Specially leprosy I think) Where did this idea come from?
- Have you ever experienced a loss of your typical sense of self and/or a oneness or merger with something or someone beyond yourself?
- Do you think Islam spreading the noahide laws and manotheism to the non Jews on such a large scale makes up for its differences with Judaism and heretical beliefs ?
- The Origins of Hebrew: This episode examines the origins of Hebrew and its relationship with Canaanite dialects in the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age.