To what degree did the sages who canonized the Tanakh have free will in choosing which books to include? I know there were controversies surrounding the inclusion of some books, such as the Song of Songs, and I imagine some non-canonical works were considered before being ultimately rejected. How possible is it that the sages could have chosen differently and that we’d ended up with a different collection of books in the Tanakh?
Free will of the sages in canonizing the Tanakh?
More from r/JudaismMore posts in r/Judaism »
- Jewish gravestones vandalized in Belfast cemetery
- Nazi recruitment stickers found at Omaha synagogue
- Jaffa: Arabs clash with Jewish protesters after attack on rabbi
- France convicts delivery man for refusing kosher food orders, will deport him
- Question concerning a possible Jewish leadership tradition/practice