In the eyes of many Gentiles, and even some Jews, Judaism has little works of art compared to other religions. There is some truth in this, but after really reading about Jewish history, I have found the opposite. So I have decided to make a post to show some of my favorite Jewish artworks. They are paintings by Jewish artist that have Jewish themes, various religious books, artwork from synagogues, and even folk art, like amulets.
- The Dura-Europos Synagogue, Syria, ca. 3rd century
- Jewish Magic Bowls, this example from what is now modern Israel, ca. 400-800 CE
- The Sarajevo Haggadah, from Barcelona, ca. 1350
- Jewish Wedding Ring with Miniature Temple Germany, ca. 1300’s
- The Return of the Volunteer from the Wars of Liberation to His Family Still Living in Accordance with Old Customs, Moritz Daniel Oppenheim, 1833
- Jews Praying in the Synagogue on Yom Kippur, Maurycy Gottlieb, 1878
- The Praying Jew (Rabbi of Vitebsk), Marc Chagall, 1914
- Moses and the Burning Bush, Reuven Rubin, 1923
What are some of yours?