Hi folks! I am not Jewish, but my sister is. Her eldest son will be turning 13 in December and celebrating (I don’t know if that’s the proper term) his Bar Mitzvah soon. I am a weaver and would love to make his Tallit. I know that the Tzitzit have special knots and also know that they can be purchased separately and added to the Tallit after it is woven. So here are my questions: does a Tallit have to be made by a Jew? Are there special prayers said over it to “make it Jewish”? Can the tzitzit be attached by a non-Jew? Would this be a weird or inappropriate thing for me to do? Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
Does a Tallit need to be made by a Jew?
More from r/JudaismMore posts in r/Judaism »
- Why does it feel like far left and far right are working together against the one thing they agree one? – Rally organizers, police deny coordinating with far-right extremists ahead of pro-Israel rally
- How bad is situation with antisemitism in the North AmericaEurope actually is?
- Are there still Jewish populations within Muslim majority countries?
- Swastika is found carved into an elevator at the State Department
- Maybe it is time to learn about the questionable authenticity of the zohar