Press "Enter" to skip to content

Conflicting feedback about Get?

I left my abusive husband eight months ago, after nine years of marriage. Thankfully, we never had children. I grew up fairly secular, and really only ever attended services during high holidays. My soon-to-be-ex-husband was Jewish by birth, but never practiced. It is only in the wake of my separation/impending divorce from him that I have felt a stronger desire to connect more deeply with my Judaism, and have therefore, very slowly, started to become more observant.

My divorce hearing is now on the horizon, and is set to occur in less than two weeks from now. Since we got married in a courthouse, based on the limited research I had done, and the handful of conversations I’ve had with people, I was under the impression I wouldn’t need a Get. However, while at shul today, I was informed that I may need one after all.

My soon-to-be-ex-husband has effectively fallen off the face of the earth. He hasn’t responded to any portion of the divorce proceedings, not even when my own attorney has reached out to him directly. All mail, to include mail sent from my lawyer’s office, has been marked as “undeliverable”, according to the court paperwork. So, in a nutshell, my divorce is proceeding as default.

He won’t even respond when legally required to. For example, a few weeks ago, I received two letters from federal and state taxation authorities, notifying me that they had intercepted both our federal and state refund. Upon some basic investigation and inquiry, come to find out he racked up debt to a local university, failed to deal with it, and let it go to collections. According to our separation agreement (signed and notarized 6+ months ago), both parties are to cooperate with one another in remediation of any tax liabilities/deficiencies. Surprise surprise, he hasn’t cooperated, and so I’M the one that has had to spend OODLES of time on the phone with the IRS, my state’s comptroller, my accountant, my lawyer, etc. I share this to try and convey his lack of cooperation and willingness to be responsive, even when it comes to legal matters.

If he won’t even respond when legally required to, how am I supposed to obtain a Get from him?

submitted by /u/disjointed_chameleon
[link] [comments]
Source: Reditt